film is a REAL degree

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

charlotte's web

i never quite know what to think when i am talking to my personal tutor charlotte. dont be deceived by her Miss Pandemonium get-up because she has these eyes that stare so intently, as if analysing your facial muscles, contemplating your every word, chewing you up and spitting you out. and then if you manage to say something that is 'right', she breaks out into a hearty laugh that momentarily breaks the tension in the room.

thankfully i didnt get devoured by her today in her office. though i didnt realise when she told me my grade that when she said the letter A after my 69 for National Cinema that the phrase "with First Class elements" was meant to explain the A and i stupidly asked what the A was again. daggers shot across the room. goodness, can you imagine having her as an interviewer? IF i manage to pull off 4 Firsts next year and make it to the borderline case, i'd dread to have the interview with her.

exams are strange. for my film modules, they pulled my average down but for my literature modules they pulled them up. hmmm... but it is a good feeling to know you have improved significantly in the exam section (compared to last year when most really pulled down the not-bad grades i got for the assessed work).

now it boils down to whether i want to work my ass off next year. charlotte said i can try for a first but personally thinks i shouldnt bother because even if i put in loads of work i might not get it. she DOES dispense good advice about focussing on doing stuff you enjoy and i really think i will enjoy my Blake & Wordsworth and National Cinema 2. and perhaps even Film Aesthetics (considering i actually enjoyed Jose's half of the module this year and did pretty ok for it). Culture, Text & Identity? sounds... like Naturalism but then i did enjoy the challenge towards the end. oh well, if i do then i do, if not then i know that i'll have a fun year ahead.

am pretty glad i didnt get my dissertation in the end - because i might have ended up with charlotte or jose as my supervisor (gasp!), and now the only thing i am concerned about is having charlotte teach me for National Cinema 2 in Spring. YIKES!