film is a REAL degree

Saturday, August 20, 2005

I watched a teen flick this evening

Drive Me Crazy with Melissa Jone Hart... I actually enjoyed watching the movie (just like I can watch 10 Things I Hate About You a million times and still laugh) and I realised the following about teen flicks...

1) teen flicks are predictable - you know it will all end at the Big Dance or somewhere near that, and that makes the movie rather brainless and pure entertainment
2) the geeks always get their justice (other than the fact that most scriptwriters were geeks in high school) - it gives me a sense that someday me, a social mis-fit, will get the last laugh
3) you laugh at their cheesiness
4) there are some really funny punchlines in them
5) you watch the couple fall in love... (all together now... AAAWWWW...)

In fact, these films have ALL the elements of utopia (as brought up by Richard Dyer) and thus that's why we love them so so much (even though the snobs in us will dismiss it as trash)...

2 Comments:

  • A Film major that has not seen the Godfather, or Casablanca watches a teen flick instead? Absolute travesty says I.

    Oh, just watched De-Lovely on DVD and loved it. Wonderful musical and I am sure that you will love it too!

    By Blogger Caleb Liu, at 9:10 am  

  • Best regards from NY!
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home